- Art Long Term Plan (1,023KB)
Why do we teach art and design?
At Dewhurst St Mary we encourage children to express their creativity through art, craft and design. Our high-quality teaching engages, inspires and challenges the children to develop their creative skills. Through the teaching of art and design, the children will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. As the children grow as artists, they will be able to think critically and develop a deeper understanding of art and design. We will also teach the children how art and design has shaped our history, culture and wealth of our nation.
We aim to ensure that all of our pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences,
- become skilful in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
‘Every human is an artist.’
Don Miguel Ruiz