Why do we teach maths?
We teach Maths as a creative and inter-connected subject that’s provides solutions to many intriguing problems. We believe that Maths is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. We provide a high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the power of mathematics and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
- become fluent in the basics of mathematics, through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and showing perseverance in finding solutions.
“Maths may not teach me how to add love or subtract hate but it gives me hope that every problem has a solution!” quote unknown
- Year 1 Maths Curriculum (127KB)
- Year 2 Maths Curriculum (120KB)
- Year 3 Maths Learning (120KB)
- Year 4 Maths Learning (134KB)
- Year 5 Maths Learning (126KB)
- Year 6 Maths Learning (139KB)